Wednesday, March 15

Snipetty Snip
Last night, I went to see the ballet version of Edward Scissorhands. I was a bit unsure about the whole dance thing - I had a really bad experience of modern dance when I went to see a dance student friend's final year production. It was horrendous and involved people in catsuits standing still for about ten minutes, then falling on the floor, writhing around, then getting up and standing still again. And that was about it - for two whole hours. It was like being in hell.

But Edward Scissorhands was delightful, magical, emotional and amazing. Even though there was no talking, the sets, music, costumes and acting were really effective in portraying the story and its themes – being an outsider, what it means to be ‘normal’, the small mindedness of small towns, love, and, er… scissors.

There were topiary people dancing, snow falling on the audience, fairy lights, magical music. I laughed, I cried and it made me feel in love with life. Aw.

No comments:

Post a Comment