Monday, April 3

I’ve just been to a funeral

As you do at funerals, I started thinking about life, death and what it’s all about. It made me think about how precious time is and about how family and friends and love are so much more important than anything else.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the future. Will I ever find a job I like? Will I have children? When will I be able to get a bigger house? Have I got enough money saved up for retirement? Why can’t I afford a bigger house/more clothes/nice haircuts/faraway holidays?

But in the big scheme of things, this kind of stuff really doesn’t matter. Not a sausage. It’s all about enjoying the now, seizing the day and all that malarkey.

Is anyone going to get to 80 and think, ‘Wow, I earned loads of money and had some fantastic shoes”? Will I be rocking in my chair reminiscing about how I had four bedrooms in my house and it was always super-clean?

If I die tomorrow, will the last day of my life have been a happy one?

I’ve been writing some daily mantras in my notebook over the last few weeks – I read them on the train every morning to make sure I have a mumpety sort of day.

  • Embrace my curves
  • Feel lucky for what I have
  • Practice random acts of kindness
  • Tell friends and family how fab they are
  • Talk to strangers
  • Be creative
  • Eat food that makes me feel good
  • Wear colour
  • Chase my dreams
  • Have experiences, live big

    That's my little bit of handbag philosophy for every day.
  • 4 comments:

    1. and remember don't stress over the little things

      ReplyDelete
    2. There is nothing like a funeral to make you think is there? But it's good that you put things into perspective and live each day as if it's your last. I bet you can't wait to finish work now though. Philomena is going to miss you loads though to be honest. She is gutted for herself...but happy for you at the same time xx

      ReplyDelete
    3. In another case of similar timing, I just posted a story (that I was emailed today) about appreciating the important things in life using a very clever analogy of "The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Cups of Coffee". You can read it at http://thanh7580.blogspot.com/2006/04/mayonnaise-jar-and-2-cups-of-coffee.html

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hallo from Oz!
      Like yr blog and yr handbag philosophy!
      See from yr profile that you also enjoyed Tales of the City books.
      Great aren't they?

      ReplyDelete