Wednesday, May 10

Out of the comfort zone
I am easily excited by so many new things and I'm always on a quest for self-improvement. In theory, this is great - but not if you have some kind of crisis about said new things every five minutes.

It usually goes like this. I have an idea about something I'm going to do. I love it, it's fantastic, it's amazing, it's the best idea I've ever had, I can't wait. I get really excited and enthusiastic about it. While still in the excitement stages, I sort out actually doing the thing that's been getting me so worked up into a frenzy.

Then a couple of hours before it is due to happen, I get the fear and start panicking about whether I've done the right thing.

It could be anything - a new fitness class, a night out with people I don't know that well, inviting people around for a meal. Anything at all.

Tonight, I am starting volunteer work with a dyslexia group.

The fear has kicked in.

What if they don't like me?

What if I can't find the right room?

What if the people don't want my help?

Gah. I feel sick.

I need Dr Jeffers.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, can I identify. I seem to spend a great deal of time stressing over what seemed like a really great idea in the first place, or offering to do something, then stressing because the other person wasn't as receptive as I'd hoped and I'm sure it's because I'm a bad, terrible person for ever offering. Nice to know I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete