Wednesday, May 31

Something quite shocking has happened

I have been turned down for a rather crappy job.

The money wasn’t great but it was close to home and the right sector, plus it was a 30-hour week. It was easy work – updating their website, writing a few leaflets and a bi-monthly newsletter and helping volunteer groups with their marketing and PR.

When they invited me for interview, they sent me an example of the sort of work they do. I was in shock. It was a newsletter done on a Clip-Art programme in Comic Sans, really badly written, full of typos and, well, really crap.

I thought I’d go to the interview anyway and see what they were all about. When I got there, I was given a writing test – I had to write a news story. They put me into a room without windows and gave me… a pen and some paper. Yes, that’s right. I had to write a news story on a lined A4 pad using a Bic biro.

I flew through the interview. The people were lovely, but I still wasn’t convinced that I wanted the job though. The office was a bit grotty. The job was very ‘officy’ and not very creative. Not meaning to sound like I’ve got an inflated head, but I honestly think I was way overqualified for it.

I have just got a rejection letter.

What do these people want? I was Deputy Editor of a magazine. I’ve written Annual Reports for big companies. I had things published in The Guardian. I’m organised, articulate, enthusiastic, experienced, great to work with, professional, blah de blah de blah. I even do more than my fair share of making the tea – and I bring home-made cakes in most Fridays.

I would probably have turned the job down anyway, but that’s not the point.

Pah.

The buggers.

4 comments:

  1. Laura1:20 pm

    I have recently had hideously over qualified people applying for an assistants role, all trying to convince me that they were happy to work for low pay, wanted less responsibility etc and, although a few years ago I was saying the same thing to employers, I just couldn't believe them.

    After a few months they'd be bored, asking for more money or, even worse - be advising me on how to do my job! There's no way I could employ someone with more experience than me.

    So, in brief, there's nowt wrong with you, you're just soooo good the employers are scared of being shown up in their own jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of the day they just want somebody who can string a sentence together and use a PC, not a whizz with years of experience of 'proper' publishing.
    You need to be challenged in your job, or you'd be climbing the walls within weeks of starting there.
    The truth of the matter is that it may have seemed like the right job, but your immediate reaction shows that you wouldn't have wanted the gig anyway.
    This really is not a problem - see it as a positive sign of your abilities rather than a negative reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come and work with me - my office could do with some of your fab cakes every Friday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you weren't crappy enough for them...
    Their loss.

    ReplyDelete