Monday, June 12

Sunday Scribblings: Mystery

This prompt is really timely for me, as I’ve spent a lot of time this year thinking about the biggest mystery of all: what’s it all about?

Some people have spent hours agonising over it, others never give it a second thought.

One friend likens it to riding on the tube in rush hour. There’s no point rushing your way into the jam-packed centre carriage to arrive all hot, bothered and flustered at the other end. You may as well wander down to the further, less busy, carriage and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Another friend says that life is all about one thing: love.

Me? I haven’t got a clue what it’s all about. I don’t know why we’re here. I don’t know where we go when we die. Perhaps it best not to know.

I often think it’s all about nature. When I’m planting seedlings and I’m up to my elbows in soil that’s made up of thousands of years’ of things that have died and become part of the earth. When I look at the sea that will still be there, ebbing and flowing, a long time after we – and our children and grandchildren – have gone.

I thought it was about making the most of everything, multi-tasking to do as many things as possible in the short time that we’re here. The I read lots of books on slow and simple living, being in the moment and consciously experiencing everything that we do.

I’m not a Christian, but I admit that Jesus talked a lot of sense. I’m not a Buddhist, but I think that there might be something in karma. I’m not a Hindu, but I believe that we shouldn’t eat our friends.

I don’t think I’m going to find the answer, but I’m forming my own little philosophy for living – a pick and mix of the things I’ve read and the things I’ve worked out for myself.

It’s not about the quest for the biggest house, the fastest car, the most money. It’s not about having power over people or feeling better than anyone else. It’s not about looking after number one.

It’s about choosing experiences over things, spending time with people you love, treating people as you’d like to be treated yourself. It’s about thinking beyond the bubble that you live in, looking out for other people and after the planet.

Maybe I have solved the mystery after all?

Sunday Scribblings is a weekly online creative writing-type exercise. It’s fab – find out more here.

3 comments:

  1. I reckon you have solved it. Who needs all those material things that don't really make you that happy in the first place? What's that song "The best things in life are free". Definetly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have sometimes wondered what life is about and wrote a post entitled "What do you want out of life". I think most of us may never truly know what life, but only a few of us will even bother to think about it. Maybe you might not get the answers, but at least thinking about it will make you realise what you value in life and possibly help you to change yourself and live a happier life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some good points here. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete