Thursday, January 25

Seven for 2007

I can not believe, as a list-obsessed wierdo, that I didn't get round to making any New Year Resolutions this year. Well, it's still January, so I've been thinking about them today.

1. Get our household expenses down to £200 per month - that's to feed us both, plus the pets, and pay for toiletries, cleaning-type stuff and alcohol. That might sound like a lot, but some months last year, it spiralled to over £400 (insert very shocked smiley here). And guess what? I've already done it for January - and that includes cooking two three-course meals for a total of 10 people this weekend - hurrah!

2. Grow the following in my garden: sunflowers, various salad leaves, tomatoes, leeks, basil, coriander, courgettes.

3. Do all the things that I didn't do from last year's list, which are:
  • Climb Pen-y-Fan
  • Go to the Lake District
  • Visit Totnes, my spirtiual home
  • Paint a picture
  • Make a collage/painting for my niece's bedroom
  • Go to a rugby match at the Millennium Stadium
  • Learn the names of trees
  • Read Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy - which has now been on my shelf for, ooo, five years.

    Hmmm, maybe 31 things was a bit optimistic.

    4. Get into yoga. When I've been in the past, I've enjoyed it - but I've always felt that I should probably have spent the hour jumping about in Cardio Kickbox or Aeropump Frenzy or something instead. Nowadays, with my relaxed freelance, frugal lifestyle, I will hopefully be more zen about it all. Oh, and it might help with that whole giving birth/lemon-melon thing.

    5. Grow out my highlights. (Gulp.) I have been blonde for about 12 years, but it is so, so bad for my wallet and for Mother Earth. Out with the highlights, in with the henna. Just hope I don't end up looking like an ageing goth and wearing lots of plum-coloured crushed velvet too.

    6. Do some work experience in a school to see if teaching is for me.

    7. Take lots of beautiful photos (my camera is fixed - yay!).

    And obviously, get thinner/greener/fitter/richer etc. Oh, and have a baby.

    As I am writing this, I have some banana muffins baking in the oven and some vanilla oil in my oil burner - mmmmmmmmmmmm. However, beside me is the dog, who is making the smells from hell from her curly bottom. It's an interesting combo of aromas.
  • 3 comments:

    1. How on earth do you keep expenses for two down to £200 a month? I refuse now to admit how much my wife and I fork out.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Don't forget, we can help you out with point 3 if you want. : )

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yay! I gave up the hair dye thing a couple of years ago and haven't regretted it.

      Curly bottom...................shout of laughter!

      ReplyDelete