Because today, I'm feeling sad that walking through the fields with Blod at 9pm is officially over. And although the first day of school is done, now every day's a school day and we all have a lot of adjusting to do to the new rhythms of our days. And it's been raining for days on end.
So, to cheer myself up, some things to look forward to about the autumn.
- Photographing all the lovely, lovely colours
- The alchemy of making soup (and the magic of its comfort, tastiness, goodness and general toasty warmth)
- Getting fluffy coats down from the attic
- The odd sunny day where it's still warm enough to paddle in the sea
- The summer beach dog ban ending on October 1st - that means Sunday mornings on Barry Island beach with Blod, a flask of chai and some cakey goodness
- Putting the big, heavy feather duvet on the bed...
- ... and cwtching up under it with the cold air coming through the open window
- Pumpkins and squashes in season
- Piles of leaves to jump in (watch out for hedgehogs)
- Hedgehogs snuffling and truffling in our garden at night
- Crumbles, crumbles, crumbles!
- Little legs in colourful, stripy tights and boots