Monday, May 6

A Very Welsh Weekend

We have had such a beautiful bank holiday weekend. Oh how much better everything is when the sun shines - especially here in Wales, where we do get our fair share of rain.

Not only have we had three days of glorious sun, I've also been staycationing at three of my very favourite places in Wales. 

My school friend H is getting married soon, so on Saturday I dropped in on her hen weekend (with a certain little baby who won't take a bottle in tow) at a beautiful old house in the Brecon Beacons. I caught up with some of my oldest friends (and met some new ones), drank lots of tea, had a lovely long walk down the Brecon canal, then a leisurely lunch in a pub. On the way home, I drove through the mountains in the sunshine with Wilf asleep in the back and Dermot O'Leary on the radio, and stopped off to take in one of my favourite views in the whole world.


On Sunday, we headed for the beach late afternoon - our favourite at Southerndown, where we had lemon drizzle cake and coffee in the walled gardens, then headed down to the sea to splash in the waves and build things out of sand until the sun went down. We put some very tired children to bed with tangly salt-water hair, sand in their toes and the smell of sunshine on their skin.



And today, off to visit my family and a trip to Dare Valley Country Park, a place that's really special to me. A place where I toddled around as a two-year-old, learnt to ride my bike, spent summer holidays by the lake, went on a camping trip with Girl Guides, did my first ever photography project... Now my children love this place too.



Sunshine + cake + beach + good friends + mountains + family = pretty much the most perfect of weekends. I'm off to bed with a few extra freckles and a big smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment